My Favorite Essential Oils
Essential oils are the latest craze right now. Somewhere on your Instagram timeline, there is a girl posting an artsy picture with her diffusor and a quote about relaxing. Essential oils are organic compounds extracted from plants. The most common uses are aromatherapy, which is a holistic treatment used to improve physical, mental and emotional health.
Before you go pick up a pack of essential oils from your nearest Walgreens, it’s important to know that quality does matter. A lot of essential oils sold in stores are filled with synthetic fragrances and aren’t pure essential oils. This means that they may smell great, but you aren’t getting any of the benefits.
What are the benefits of essential oils?
Essential oils can be used for cosmetic and dietary purposes and spiritual and religious use. I personally started using essential oils for the emotional and physical benefits.
I started using essential oils to replace cleaning products as well. I use them in my car, for my counter tops, and just to diffuse around the house.
1. Lavender: Lavender can be added to just about anything including oils, lotions, shampoos, and skincare products. My favorite way to use lavender is in an Epsom bath, and I spray some on my pillow before bed.
2. Peppermint: Supports digestion, boosts energy, and a natural fever reducer.
3. Rosemary: Natural hair thickener and great to diffuse while studying to improve brain function and memory.
4. Lemon: Great to use in cleaning products and self-care products.
5. Grapefruit: I love the smell of it and add it to coconut butter to make a lotion.
Finding quality essential oils:
Make sure you purchase essential oils that are high quality and therapeutic grade. Be aware of the ingredient list and stay away from any that include fragrance, parfum, or any ingredient other than the essential oil itself.